Those of you who follow Pixability on social media and at industry events will recall that we released our Beauty on YouTube study earlier this year; a report focused on how vloggers and other independent content creators are controlling the beauty conversation on YouTube. This week, Pixability released its latest industry vertical study: Consumer Electronics and YouTube.Although centered about consumer electronics brands like Samsung, JVC, Sony, Sharp, LG, and Apple and their YouTube performance, this report contains overall findings and best practices applicable to any and all marketers seeking to leverage YouTube more effectively for their brand.
Curious about what we found after unleashing our proprietary YouTube analytics software onto more than 900,000 YouTube consumer electronics videos within seven main device categories? I’m about to share a few of the study’s key findings below. (For access to the full set of insights, download the report at www.pixability.klikz.us/CEstudy.)
Your audience continues to access YouTube from a growing variety of mobile devices, but more interestingly, viewers are now watching YouTube videos about smartphones, tablets, cameras, headphones, laptops, and other mobile devices in record numbers. Views of consumer electronics (CE)-related content have grown steadily from 100 million views per month in 2008 to over 483 million views per month in 2013. And although total views for seven key categories of CE content (phone and tablet videos, computer videos, home entertainment videos, camera videos, headphones and personal audio videos, wearable tech videos, and smart home videos) make up 18.9 billion views on YouTube, a few specific categories and varieties of video dominate.
- Product teaser videos, showing highly anticipated devices in the weeks prior to official launch, are the most popular type of CE video currently available on YouTube.
- Mobile device-related video content is the most prevalent type of CE content on YouTube, and receives over 334 million views per month. Our data shows that there is a very high level of interest in smartphone and tablet-focused content. For example, Sony’s mobile phone YouTube channel receives 10x as many views as its general channel.
When it comes to overall industry leaders, Google, Samsung, Apple, Nokia, and Sony own 84% of YouTube’s total pool of branded consumer electronics video views. The other 20 consumer electronics brands discussed in our study share the remaining 16% of YouTube views. The “Big Five” market leaders receive up to 111x as many views per video and 238x as many comments per video than their competitors.
Not all brands are performing as well as Google or Apple, but in the study we discuss five best practices any brand can implement to improve their YouTube marketing. It’s worth a quick look to see what your brand may be leaving on the table without even realizing it.
By the way, consumer electronics brands aren’t doing such a good job of targeting female viewers and customers on YouTube. As it stands right now, 89% of viewers of CE-related content on YouTube are male. That heavily-male skew may be due to the fact that very few brands are producing content specifically targeted at women; existing tech storylines feature male celebrities and actors, and often leave women out entirely. What is your brand currently doing to attract female consumers to your videos and products?
To learn more about Pixability’s Consumer Electronics and YouTube study, download a free copy from our website, watch a short video about the study here, or register for our live webinar covering the study findings and best practices for consumer electronics brands on July 16th, 2014, at 12:30pm ET by clicking here.